I always thought that Clover was the smartest dog I ever knew. I have had to change my view on that since Auggie arrived on the scene.
In the eight weeks that I’ve had Auggie, I have decided that he is way smarter than Clover was, and outshines Cosmo considerably.
So far, he has learned how to:
- sit – took 30 minutes;
- down – took about an hour;
- come – about 5 minutes (and a bag of treats);
- ring the bell at the back door when he wants to go out to potty – one day (and another bag of treats);
- shake – about an hour;
- high five – 10 minutes;
- ask (bark on command with a hand signal) – 10 minutes;
- leave it (yeah, right! Auggie has not grasped this idea yet);
- drop it (Oh, boy. This one would sure come in handy if it would just take.)
- leave it (Oh, yeah. This one.)
Now, if anyone has any advice on how to convince Auggie to stop eating mulch, twigs, and chewing on me, I would appreciate it very much.