I took the dogs to daycare this morning and headed out for some yard sales. There were quite a few community sales in the area, and I decided to drive through one on the way to another. I have shopped in both of these areas before, and have in the past found some goodies! The weather started out pretty cool, but warmed up quickly. The humidity was very heavy and zapped my energy quickly. I was d-o-n-e by 11:00 a.m., and asleep on the couch by noon.
Today, I came home with:
- 20 DVDs – $20 – Animal House, Caddy Shack, The Devil Wears Prada, Mystery Alaska are just a few. How can you resist buying DVDs at that price?
- At the same sale where I got the DVDs, I bought 8 Music CDs – $8. It was kind of strange as thee people had all of these DVDs and then the music soundtracks on CD to coordinate with the DVD. Odd.
- New Black Crow Hand Puppet – $3. Not sure what I’m going to do with this, I just couldn’t resist. I may just use it to drive my dogs nuts. It is adorable and NWT (and marked $39.00) The lady that I bought it from said she bought it in Utah on a trip. Ok.
- A vintage rabbit fur muff for $1.00. I had one just like it when I was 5 or 6 years old. I’m going to have to see if I can find the Easter 1962 photo with me and my cousins and our Easter dresses and our fur muffs. Not sure why I bought it, except it tugged on some nostaligic thread (and it was only $1.00)
- 2 Vintage Christmas tablecloths, one of them came with 8 matching napkins. ($2.00).
I also went to the yearly Boy Scout Tag Sale at the Expo Center in Chantilly. It opened at 8:00 am, and I got there at 9:00 a.m. There were a lot of people, parking was at a premium, and they had a lot of junk. I didn’t take photos this year, because it looked almost exactly like last year. I stayed for about 20 minutes, did a quick recon, and decided if there was ever anything “good” there it had already been scooped up.
- Pewter plate (one from a set of 6) – Washington Crossing the Delaware. The whole set of these goes for a couple of hundred dollars. I saw them a couple of years ago at an antique store and for the set of six they were asking $350.00. I, on the other hand, now have one and I paid $3.00. Must find more.
- 6 packages of new thank you notes – 10 cents.
After the yard sales, and because I was in the neighborhood, I stopped at the Burke (VA) Weekly Farmers Market. It is held in the parking lot of the VRE station (the Virginia Railway). They finally got the parking garage finished and the construction at the site is almost finished. It was a real mess for a while, but now it is much easier to maneuver. The sellers at this farmers market are very nice and its usually the same group every Saturday morning.
I am going to be eating:
- A quart of Virginia-grown strawberries ($4.00)
- A giant bag of baby spinach ($3.00)
- A head of red leaf lettuce ($3.00)
I almost forgot to mention that the azaleas are in bloom in Northern Virginia, and they are absolutely beautiful. I didn’t have my camera with me yesterday, but I am tempted to head out tomorrow morning to get a few photos. I am such an idiot. When I first moved into my townhouse in 2003, I had a huge rhododendron and a couple of azalea bushes taken out. I thought they were ugly. It was October and I didn’t know how pretty they would be in the Spring.