dog / dog allergies / dog treats / food recalls / Labrador Retrievers / peanut butter / peanuts / Pets / salmonella

Peanut Butter and YOUR Dog – Update

pbdogWe haven’t heard much in the news lately about the peanut butter recall, and I found an update on the ASPCA website and thought I would share with you.

Peanut Butter Pet Treats:  Recall Reminder! February 13, 2009

The peanut butter recall isn’t over, pet parents! In fact, the FDA has added several new pet food items to its expanding list of affected products. Last month, the FDA confirmed an outbreak of Salmonella bacteria in peanut butter products and traced it to a GA-based plant owned by the Peanut Corp. of America. The company does not sell directly to consumers, but distributes peanut butter and peanut paste to institutions and manufacturers, including several pet food makers.

The ASPCA reminds pet parents to keep checking the FDA’s website for updates. Pet parents should also wash their hands after handling any potentially contaminated food and consult with a veterinarian if their dog shows any symptoms of Salmonella infection, including vomiting, diarrhea, fever, lethargy and drooling or panting. Cats may develop a high fever with vague, non-specific clinical signs. If you suspect that your pet may have ingested a recalled product, please contact your local veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.

For the FDA’s complete list of recalled products, check out their website.  And for the disclaimer, I’m not a vet just the proud owner of two great black labs that happen to love peanut butter.  I have not actually stopped giving them peanut butter, I’ve just stopped buying any new products that have PB in them.  Don’t know what I’m going to do when they finish off the gi-normous jar of PB that I bought at Costco.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Peanut Butter and YOUR Dog – Update

  1. Sadie just finished her breakfast: a slice of whole wheat toast with peanut butter! I have a slice of toast with grapefruit and she sits there and drools….so I started making her her very own piece.

    Thanks for the links!

    Like

  2. Thanks for spreading the word on pet toxicities on your blog – so important for pet owners to be aware of the lurking household poisons in (and outside of) their house! As an ER specialist, I see so many toxicities that owners bring in too late (making it more expensive to treat, with a worse prognosis!). When in doubt, it’s so important to call a Poison Control for peace of mind! More importantly, if it’s a flea or tick product, and you notice a problem in the middle of the night, PLEASE CALL the manufacturer number listed on the back – these companies often have a poison control that can help even in the middle of the night!

    I wanted to make you aware of another important resource out there also – Pet Poison Helpline is an additional Animal Poison Control Center, and it’s one of the most cost-effective animal poison ($35/case vs. ASPCA’s new $60/case) controls out there nowadays. Unfortunately, because animal poison controls are not federal- or state-funded, there is a fee to allow the service to be run 24-7. We provide a similar service, but have the added benefit of veterinary specialists (in internal medicine and emergency and critical care) as part of our staff. You can always call 1-800-213-6680 if you ever have a problem. Thanks for spreading the word!

    Dr. Justine Lee, DVM, DACVECC
    Associate Director of Veterinary Services
    http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com
    http://www.drjustinelee.com

    Like

Comments are closed.