|Dizzy Chicken (The $25,000 Mardi Gras Cake Cook Book)||38||43%|
|Stuffed Shrimp (Enola Prudhomme’s Low-Fat Favorites)||25||28%|
|Shrimp Salad with Lemon Oil Dressing (The New Low-Country Cooking)||13||15%|
|Creole Rice Salad (La Bouche Creole)||9||10%|
|Chicken Liver Omelet (Brennan’s New Orleans Cookbook)||3||3%|
Thank you to everyone who took the time to enter my comment contest and vote for my Sunday Dinner! I’m going to do this challenge every week or two, so I hope everyone will come back to vote for future Sunday Dinners! And thank you thank you thank you for NOT voting for the Chicken Liver Omelet, even though it did have a few champions.
It looks like the publisher of this book is no longer in business. So, I am printing this recipe as written and with full credit to the book’s author and cook extrordinaire, Mrs. Eunice Surles of Lake Chalres, Louisiana and her book The $25,000 Madi Gras Cake and Other Prize-Winning Recipes Cook Book (1975) published by Legacy Publishing in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The ISBN # of the book is 0918784034.
2 3-3 1/2 pound broilers, cut up
3/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon each: salt and garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon each: ginger, celery salt
1 (1 pound+13 ounces can apricots drained. (Reserve liquid).
4 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2/3 cup apricot brandy
1 cup margarine
- In paper bag pour flour mixture.
- Shake chicken a few pieces at a time.
- Heat margarine in heavy skillet. If electric, heat to 350.
- Fry chicen until brown on all sides.
- Remove chicken to baking dish with cover. Foil may be used for cover.
- Pour 1/2 cup reserved apricot juice over the chicken.
- Drain all but 1/3 cup margarine from skillet.
- Add flour, remaining juice, soy sauce and sugar. Cook until thickened.
- Add apricot brandy, stir well. Pour over chicken.
- Place apricot halves on chicken.
- Bake covered for 50 minutes in large flat baking dish at 350 degrees.
I am going to cut this recipe in half … otherwise this single gal will be eating Dizzy Chicken every meal for the next three weeks. And, believe me, that is a sure fire way to kill any interest in a repeat performance no matter how good this turns out.
Oh, and I almost forgot,
A Huge Shout Out to the winner of the box of books or B&N gift card as chosen by Random.Org:
Random Integer Generator
Here are your random numbers: