Clover & Cosmo’s Favorite Dog Biscuits
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup low sodium beef, chicken or veggie broth
1/2 cup dry (powdered) milk
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 large egg
3 cups whole-wheat flour
- Combine all of the ingredients except the flour in a large bowl and mix well.
- Mix in the flour 1/2 cup at a time. Mix well until a dough ball forms.
- Take the dough ball and knead a few times.
- Use rolling pin, and roll out dough to about 1/4″ thickness.
- If you have a cookie cutter in the shape of a dog bone – great! But any shape will do (dogs won’t care) and if you don’t have a cookie cutter, you can use a knife to cut the dough into any size that you want.
- Spray the cookie sheet with Pam or another type of cooking spray — don’t load it on — just a nice light quick spray.
- Bake in preheated oven at 325 degrees for 50 to 55 minutes. Then turn the oven off, but leave the dog biscuits in the oven for another couple of hours. This will help dry the biscuits out and make them crunchy!
- I have substituted olive oil for margarine with ok results. Measure out the amount and add it gradually untill the dough comes together.
- If you don’t have whole wheat flour, you can use white flour. And, if you are cleaning out the cupboards, you could mix any combo of white, wheat, or rye flours. Just leave out the corn meal (allergies and digestion issues).
- Bisquick or prepared packaged biscuits or pancake mixes WILL NOT WORK.
- You can always make these even more healthy by using organic!